On September 13, 2003, the National Referee Committee considered a request for a change in policy with regard to referees who have not registered for two years (or more). The current policy requires that referees who miss two or more years of registration re-take the entire Entry Level Referee Training Course.
After discussion, the Referee Committee recommended that the states use the following guidelines for re-registering referees not certified for two years or more:
- Grade 8 referees who miss 1-2 consecutive years of registration can be re-registered as a grade 8 after completing a Referee Re-certification clinic.
- Grade 8 referees who miss 3-4 consecutive years of registration can be re-registered after taking the Referee Bridge (Grade 9 to Grade 8) Course or the entire Entry Level Referee Training Course.
- Grade 8 referees who miss 5 or more consecutive years must re-take the entire Entry Level Referee Training Course.
- Grade 7 Referees and Higher – Referees can only be registered at the grade they qualify for. Referees who were Grade 7 or higher should be downgraded one (1) grade, as per current policy. Once they retake the appropriate course as listed above for grade 8 referees and have completed all the requirements for the previously held grade, they may be upgraded.
- Grade 9 Referees who miss one or two years of registration may be re-certified after fulfilling all re-certification requirements for that grade. A Grade 9 Referee who misses two years of registration can be eligible to take the Bridge Course (9-8) after he or she has met the requirements to be re-certified as Grade 9.
Referees are registered annually, for the period January 1 to December 30. Current year Referee, Assignor, Instructor, and Assessor registration forms are accepted by the National Office from September 01 of the previous year to June 30 of the current year (10 months). Referees who did not have the opportunity to re-register during the prescribed current year registration period may register for the following year without penalty. (e.g. A referee last registered in 2002 may take a 2004 re-certification course in August 2003 without having to pay a 2003 registration fee.) HOWEVER, re-certifying referees who wait until after June 30 to re-register should not be added to assignment lists until the following January 1. (e.g. A referee last registered in 2002 may take a 2004 re-certification course in August 2003 but shall not be assigned until January 01, 2004.)